Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Should Really Be Doing My Paperwork

I'm home, and she be working on the mound of paperwork I have for school. No...not lesson plans...paperwork. One of the "perks" of becoming a special education teacher was that while decreasing my class size 50%, I increased my paperwork by 200%. Hmmm...that doesn't seem even.

With all that said, I am in a time crunch this year to get everything done before I go on maternity leave in March or April. Meaning 200% more paperwork, 30% less time. Fun...Fun. So here I sit, with my manila folders in my office beside me, and instead of working, I'm blogging.

Why?

1. I really don't want to do it.
2. I had the cutest story from today, and wanted to share.

So...here is my story that I should always tell at parties (LOL)

Yesterday, I sent a letter home to all of my student's parents, explaining that I was expecting and would be on maternity leave later this year. As a teacher, we have to inform them, or else some child gets confused and thinks we just got fat and then quit. And tells that to their mom or dad. Hence the letter.

Today, I told my students. Now some of them are very astute, and already figured it out, but others, did not know. I went through the whole speech of how I would be gone, but someone else would be there taking my place (Yes...I was asked if they would just quit coming while I was out), and they would be meeting him or her really soon. Then I took questions.

They really didn't have any, except for one little boy. I was just about done when he raised his hand.

"I just wanted to say...Do you have a scan of your belly that shows the baby?"

"Yes, I do."

"Can I see it? I'd really like to see what he looks like."

Okay...yes, that was all, but it melted my heart. It's one thing for your family or friends to want to see your alien baby ultrasound pictures, but it is totally another, when one of your little boy students honestly takes an interest.

Now it's off to do my paperwork. Arggghhh

4 comments:

Eric said...

How cute is that? You should tell that at parties!

Vered said...

So sweet. :)

Also wanted to tell you... once you have that baby, you will agree that it changes your life. Not necessarily adds to it, but simply changes it.

Kids have a way of taking away many of the things you now take for granted, but they also give you so much joy and fulfillment that you don't have unless you have kids.

In a few months, you'll know what I mean. :)

Anonymous said...

aww! That is really sweet! Sounds like you have a good bunch in your class! :)

Anonymous said...

I took taking a shower for granted but not once you have a baby. You may or may not get a shower everyday. That is so sweet that your students wanted to see the baby pics. We are so excited about the baby.
Mandy

Pregnancy Countdown Widget-Fetal Monitor-Baby Cam!