My grandmother (my mother's mom) passed away this morning. She has been sick with Alzheimer's for several years now. We have watched as a once strong willed confident woman, faded into this horrible disease.
Although it hurts to see her go, I am at the same time very thankful. She is now restored to herself. Her mind is mended, as well as her body. When I cry, my tears are twofold. One tear is for the sadness of losing the woman who helped me gather figs and fixed me ham sandwiches during the summer. The other is for the happiness of knowing she is once again that woman and will no longer have to suffer.
Unfortunately, most of the people around me (my husband, Eric, included) never got to meet her. She was already slipping away by the time I was entering my adult life. But I wish everyone could have.
In describing her today, I mentioned to someone that she was "A woman before her time." She was feisty. Never one to let someone else tell her what to do. I guess that is where I get my stubbornness from. From her, I learned, not by her telling me, but by just watching, how a southern woman handled her life. She stood with my Grandfather, not behind, to run a business, that to this day I am in awe of. She care for her family, no matter what economic times were like. She spoke her mind TO EVERYONE!!! And she knew that her opinion held value.
I am thankful this Thanksgiving for the time I have shared with her. I am thankful for the daughter she raised that I am so proud to call my mother. I am thankful that she is home now, probably getting my Grandfather in line (his years of peace are probably over :o) ).
Overall...I am sad, but thankful for so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You'll be in my thoughts today.
I am sorry for your loss. I bet she is so excited to return Home to your Grandfather so that they can be together as they watch you become a Mom. She will be another gaurdian angel to watch over little Mauldin! :)
This was perfect at the funeral. I love you. I am so lucky to have such a caring and beautiful wife. Mauldin will have such a wonderful mother to learn from.
My Dearest Laura,
I’m so sorry to hear about your grand-mother. May she rest in peace. God and your grand-father are now with her.
As Tami said, she’ll be another guardian angel watching over you together with your grand-father, as you start the wonderful journey in your life of becoming a mom. She was not only an example to you on being a magnificent mom, but also an inspiration.
Never forget her, always remember; the characteristics and the lil things that made her who she is, your amazing grand-mother!
You’re in my thoughts & prayers and although it’s late, “Happy Thanksgiving Day”!
LITC
Post a Comment