Monday, December 29, 2008

Can you be hot and cold at the same time?

This past week, I changed my quote on Facebook to read "Everyone says motherhood changes your life. I disagree. I think it is just adding to it." And for the most part, that is how I have approached everything so far.


My day to day life is actually no different from what it was before I got pregnant. In fact, I've been very stubborn to the fact that I should take this time to retreat for my daily responsibilities and take time for me. I am determined to do everything I did before. Pregnancy will not stop me.

Because of this "supermom" attitude, I've gotten myself in some sticky situations throughout these past 7 months. This morning was no exception.

Eric and I were married in June and I made the decision to change my name. Now the important stuff I did right away: Social Security and Drivers License, but everything else...well, just hasn't gotten done. So, today I decided to work on my banking.

I drove to Wachovia to change my name on my account. I had a whole list of errands to run (hence the...pregnancy will not stop me attitude), but I thought that I would do that first. It's actually pretty easy to change your name. I just had to show them my drivers license.

Here is what happened while I was standing there, waiting for the teller to update the computer.

Man it's hot in here...No... not hot...cold...or maybe hot...is it possible to feel both at the same time.

When is she going to get finished. Surely it doesn't take that long...Gosh it is hot/cold in here. And why is this room so small.

Oh good...she is finishing...what...she sounds muffled. Is she whispering...wait...everything is getting brown...oh this is not good.

"Excuse me," I say in my most polite voice. "Do you mind if I sit down for a second. I think I'm going to pass out."

To this, she rushes to the back and comes out with water and two packets of sugar. "I wasn't sure if you were pregnant or a diabetic."

"No...I'm pregnant."

I felt better after a few minutes, although completely mortified, but decided it was best to forgo the errands today.

So today, pregnancy won. I had to take a break. Tomorrow will be another battle with myself.

And before I get a thousand comments about how I need to think about what is best for Mauldin and my body, please know that I would never do anything to put my son at risk. Trust me...he is fine and doing well. Just ask Eric. He saw him using my belly as a punching bag last night :)

2 comments:

Eric said...

We need to get you a shirt that says "Supermom!" :) LOL

Katie said...

Wow! Stories like this scare me because I say I want to do the same thing when the time comes - go right along as usual - but sometimes I guess your body does make you slow down. Best of luck for your third trimester!

Pregnancy Countdown Widget-Fetal Monitor-Baby Cam!