Friday, October 24, 2008

Squishy Gives Mommy a Wake Up Call

This week has been interesting to say the least. It really all began last week when I began getting sick with the wonderful crud that is going around. By Monday, I felt horrible and decided to take myself to the doctor to get checked. The entire time I thought I would pop in, get an antibiotic, and go home, feeling better by the next day. This however was not the case. Instead, the doctor said that it was just a virus and all I could do was let it run its course.


A little frustrated, I went home to begin a regiment of OJ and chicken noodle soup, still thinking that by tomorrow, Tues., I would be better.



Tuesday morning:

Still sick. Called a sub and went back to bed. I'll be better tomorrow right?!?


Wednesday Morning:

6:00am Felt better! Decided to get up and go back to work.

6:45am Left the house and drove by Starbucks for hot chocolate and a pumpkin loaf. BabySkates needs his/her breakfast.

7:00am Got to school and went to morning duty in the cafeteria. Talked to several people, still felt great.

7:20am Moved from the cafeteria to the back hallway. Started to feel woozy and hot. Really needed to sit down, but no chairs.

7:30am Back in my classroom. Still felt lightheaded. Students came in and got on the computer for their morning work. Coteacher walked in, told me a story, still no real recollection of what she told me.

7:45am Parpro comes in. Gives me one look and says she is getting me a sub. Walks out. I call Eric to pick me up.

7:50am Assistant Principal walks into my room. Grabs all of my belongings and says I'm going home. Begins walking me to the nurse's office. Still woozy.

7:51am Stop in the cafeteria. Feel like I'm going to pass out. Nurse gets me a wheel chair.

8:00am Eric picks me up and takes me home, where I will be for the next 3 days.



So, what happened. Any time something feels wrong, my first reaction is to call the OB. So, at 9:00am I called. After going over my symptoms and looking at my chart, the nurse began to ask me several questions, most of which went over my eating habits. After some discussion, she reached the conclusion that the virus, combined with my low iron levels (something that was discovered at the last appointment) was causing me all my problems.

See, here's the deal. I'm not a big eater. I just have never been. Before pregnancy, my eating habits included no breakfast, a little something for lunch (usually just yogurt), and dinner. That was enough for me. Well, of course I knew that wasn't enough for a baby, so I upped my game a little. At least to my standards. This included Starbucks for breakfast or dry cereal, sandwich for lunch, and dinner. Oh, and a nightly scoop of ice cream. To me I was pigging out. Eating well for my baby. I have since had a wake up call. I HAVE GOT TO EAT!!! A lot more than I'm use to. The doctor said the baby is okay, but I'm not eating enough for both of us. Everything I eat goes to him/her first, and I'm basically left with nothing at this point (hence the woozy in the head feeling).

So, down came my mom to stay with me for a few days while Eric was a work. My days were spent on the couch resting and eating, and getting my body back to normal. I will be returning to work on Monday, with my handy snack bag in hand and will be purchasing a watch to help me remember to snack. Although, I don't think I will have to worry. I am already getting phone calls about every hour asking "Have you eaten? What did you eat?"

So, mommy learned a valuable lesson this weekend. My body is not my own, and if I don't listen, then BabySkates will make me listen.

Lesson learned, little one. Lesson learned.

4 comments:

Eric said...

What did I say? It takes Baby Skates consuming all your nutrients to make you listen... lol :)
Maybe next time you will listen to your husband!

Tiffany said...

I'm so happy that you're feeling better. Geeze, scary wake up call.

Amy said...

Next time I see you, remind me to throw something at your head, scrawny.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are feeling better. They are right you must EAT.
Mandy

Pregnancy Countdown Widget-Fetal Monitor-Baby Cam!