Thursday, September 18, 2008

And We Will Call You Our Squishy


So it's been a while since I last posted. I don't really have a good reason other than, by the time I sit down to write, I'm so exhausted that the idea of thinking of clever words and phrases makes me want to cry. Honestly everything makes me cry these days. Commercials, sitcoms, reality TV are all a part of my daily sob. The worst by far is "A Baby Story," which I have banned from my viewing repertoire, merely because I am sick of hearing about the joys of "natural" childbirth. Personally, I will be signing up for the epidural as soon as we check into the hospital.


Note: I know that some of you that read this were brave enough to go au~natural. I will forever be in awe of your primitive strength. However, I can come close to passing out when I stub my toe, am not sure how my body is going to react to my woo-hoo being stretched to the size of a watermelon.


Other than the daily emotional outburst, things are moving along quite well. We are now entering our 13th week, which is marking the end of the first trimester, as well as the end of morning sickness. YAY!!! My morning sickness has now been replaced with a ravaging hungry that must be satisfied about every hour and 1/2. Baby Skates is pretty good with just about every type of food. The only nauseating culprit is Cheez-its, which Eric finds funny to waft under my nose.


I'm also now officially out of my old clothes, but not quite into maternity clothes. This has brought about another annoyance that I must vent upon for just one paragraph. Before Eric and I got married, I work hard (I mean very hard) to get in shape and fit into my wedding gown. All was a success. Now, pregnancy kind of wrecks all of that. Maternity has figured out this problem and lovingly labels all clothing according to your previous size, so that you still feel good about yourself as you eat your nightly ice cream and chocolate syrup. However, there are no in between pre-maternity and maternity clothes. You are forced to go into stores and buy sizes you have not worn in several years or ever. I find this very disheartening, and would like to send a petition to Mimi, Pea in a Pod, and Motherhood to correct this travesty.


As you have been able to tell through our bump pictures (see Eric's blog), Baby Skates is now beginning to show. Eric and I try to spend some time every night talking to him or her and tapping the belly. During tonight's tap and chat, we chose our nickname. Everyone has one for their baby. I know I use to call Annagrace (my sister's baby) juju-bea and I believe I called Drew (my other sister's son) gummybear. Baby Skates will from this point on be known as Squishy. Why? Because "I will call him squishy and he will be mine and he will be my squishy." (Finding Nemo) We really have no other explanation for it, but that. Our squishy. I can't wait till we finally get to see him...or her :)

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I absolutely love that Baby Skates is officially being called your squishy! SO CUTE!

Love ya'll!

Kelly said...

That is so cute! I am so excited for you guys...Kids are so much fun! Congratulations again!

Eric said...

I love our squishy!

Anonymous said...

I love "Finding Nemo!" Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! haha!

Anonymous said...

uh, yeah on the epidural! I made it further than I thought I would without it, but it was my best friend on Labor Day! Congrats on entering your second trimester. It was my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Try to get a "belly band". It's like a tight cami that just fits around your tummy (no straps) and will hold up your pants (reg. size that can't button and pregnancy pants that are a little loose). And, you WILL need it later on, because as weird as it will seem, those maternity pants WILL get too small, and won't stay up in the last month or so. The belly band can help there too...covering that little sliver of belly that won't be covered by pants or shirt.

Pregnancy Countdown Widget-Fetal Monitor-Baby Cam!